Friday, March 19, 2010

Trying to Write a Novel

Farewell, my lovely
said Dahlia, holding a bouquet.
And every sentence was a fresh start
But all that was coming out was poetry
Some elusive vomit of communication

Michael replied
I won't forget you- not till
the Earth stops hurtling around the Sun
Sun-days after
Saturdays after
yesterday
Now he wasn't making sense anymore
A haystack of thoughts

There was no plot.

I just thought I'd start writing
Drinking coffee
Checking facebook
Listening to all these voices around me, a
chaotic storyline called dinner (because I'm sitting in a
diner) (trying to be a writer)
Really!
(I am)

Phone call.

And in the moments of distraction, I missed it.
Michael left.
Dahlia opened a Southwestern restaurant. On Christmas
she thought of him
and he smelled flowers as he stared at the fire.

1 comment:

  1. You are so fucking talented it makes me sick (not really, just jealous) Love

    ReplyDelete